The time to address anti-Black hate is now
- Published on: May 24, 2022
We want to acknowledge the massacre motivated by anti-Black hate that occurred in Buffalo on May 14th, 2022. The fight against racially motivated attacks on Black individuals and communities is a responsibility we all bear. We mourn the loss of lives due to this heinous act and recognize it is a reminder to us all that so much work is still needed to dismantle white supremacy.
We support the calls to action released by the BlackNorth Initiative, 21 Black-led community organizations and foundations from across the GTA, that focus on action which goes beyond pledges and statements and instead demands strategies and solutions which must be co-developed with communities and implemented by all institutions, organizations, and levels of government that address the root causes of anti-Black hate.
ARIDO will be taking these calls to action back to the Equity, Diversity, Accessibility, and Advancement Committee for more discussion and to identify how our priorities for the upcoming year can contribute to actionable change in this area.
For members and partners in our community who are looking for resources and opportunities to engage in change, here are some options:
- Event: Vigil Against Anti-Black Hate and Terrorism: May 19, 2022 at 6pm at Nathan Phillips Square
- Anti-Black Racism Workshop for Board Members - Recording and Slides
- Individual Learning Resources from Nyanda Consulting
- Work in Progress: Unpacking White Supremacy in Nonprofit Organizations - Recording
- Nonprofit and philanthropy: Stop with the BS and get serious about fighting white supremacy - Vu Le, Nonprofit AF - Article